The Innovating Justice Challenge 2021
GROW YOUR GAME-CHANGING JUSTICE INNOVATION INTO AN IMPACTFUL BUSINESS
The application is currently closed.
The Innovating Justice Challenge invited all startups that are transforming the justice sector to become part of our 2021 Accelerator cohort. Since 2011, we have successfully funded, trained and scaled over 120 startups globally. We are the only accelerator worldwide dedicated to justice and SDG16.
Demo Day 2022: Concluding the Innovating Justice Challenge 2021
On Wednesday, 16 February 2022, HiiL’s Justice Accelerator is bringing 18 startups from Africa, Ukraine and the Middle East to showcase their justice innovations at this year’s Demo Day, concluding the Innovating Justice Challenge 2021.
Register for the event and sit in a virtual room full of potential investors, entrepreneurs and the justice innovation community.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for justice startups that empower people with break-through innovations to create better
- working conditions with their employer
- separation terms with their spouse
- protection against theft, fraud and violence
- arrangements about noise, damages and property access with their neighbour
- housing maintenance and rent conditions with their landlord
- agreements on ownership, registration and use of land
- contracts, fraud protection and compliance for their small business.
We are especially interested in startups that work on what we’ve identified as potential gamechangers.
To apply your startup needs to
- have a service that prevents or resolves a clear local justice problem*.
- have proven customer demand, demonstrate increasing revenue and impact.
- have a scalable business model and the potential to become financially sustainable.
- be led by a dedicated team with experienced founders.
Both for-profit and non-profit startups can apply!
* Check our Dashboard for the most pressing justice problems in your country or region.
What do we offer?
HiiL’s Justice Accelerator offers you a 4-month long programme that provides you with:
- €10,000 non-equity seed funding.
- Full training program delivered by industry specialists: business growth, marketing, team & leadership, impact measurement and much more.
- Coaching sessions and mentorship on topics of your choice.
- Access to HiiL’s global network of justice leaders, legal tech organisations and top level researchers.
- International exposure and potential investment opportunities.
- Chance to win up to €20.000 at the pitch event of the Innovating Justice Forum.
The 2020/2021 Innovating Justice Challenge
Last February the entire 2020 cohort pitched during the Innovating Justice Forum. During this online edition, broadcasted to 1,000 participants, the start up “Lawyerd!” was chosen as the winner by judges Jackie Nagtegaal (Law for All), Duncan Onyango (KIFFWA) and Linda Bonyo (Lawyers Hub Kenya).
Watch the recap of the first day of the Forum and read all about it here.
Selection and acceleration process 2021
Do you want to learn about the startups in our portfolio?
Nigeria / Financial inclusion
Bankly is a savings and cash digitisation platform that allows its customers to save up for emergencies through an agent network while protecting them from fraud and theft.
Want to learn more about our Justice Accelerator programme?