Justice Transformation in Kaduna State, Nigeria
Resolving justice problems at scale requires systems to evolve. Following Justice Transformation Labs (JTL) in Imo and Ogun State, respectively, HiiL launched a JTL in Kaduna, Nigeria, a state nicknamed the Centre of Learning.
In collaboration with the Kaduna State Government, critical stakeholders, and state-wide justice leaders, HiiL will organise a series of stakeholder dialogues to help realise people-centred justice in Kaduna State. The Justice Transformation Lab series contributes to the broader vision of Kaduna State’s Governor Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai of “putting people first,” and seeks to initiate locally-owned strategies that innovatively and effectively produce a more user-friendly justice system.
Strengthened dialogue between justice stakeholders on justice needs will create the conditions for an enabling environment that can spur justice innovation and promote game-changing services for making people-centred justice happen in Kaduna state.
Kaduna with its long history of religious, ethnic and communal conflicts has continued to struggle with establishing a secured environment where people can live, work and do business without fear of violence.
The 2022 Justice Transformation Lab and process in Kaduna State will:
- Convene a diverse group of stakeholders to exchange ideas and smart actions on bringing justice closer to the people.
- Devise an actionable strategy with clear outcomes for implementing accessible, affordable, and user-friendly justice.
- Identify key innovations and game-changing services positioned well to support and deliver justice to rural communities and the more vulnerable citizens in Kaduna State.
- Support SDG16 and signal to the global justice community that Kaduna (and Nigeria more broadly) stands by the notion of justice working for all and not just for a privileged few.
The stakeholder dialogues will kick-off in early 2022 and continue through the Summer. A launch forum took place in Kaduna on 1 December 2021.
- Project: Civil Justice Transformation in Ogun State, Nigeria
- Report: Justice Needs & Satisfaction in Nigeria