The terms and conditions contained below apply to most services provided by The Hague Institute for Innovation of Law (“HiiL”) and apply to users, as well as to all information, recommendations, documents and services.
HiiL takes the safeguarding of your personal information seriously. We do not require you to provide any personal information to access and browse our website or to use most of our online services.
Submitting information is strictly voluntary. By doing so, you are giving HiiL your permission to use the information for the intended purpose (e.g. Monthly Newsletter). If you do not want to give HiiL permission to use your information, then simply do not provide it. We never collect information for commercial marketing purposes.
HiiL observes the utmost care in compiling and maintaining information you voluntarily provide on the website. However, HiiL cannot guarantee that this information is always completely accurate, comprehensive and current. Adopted documents of the association, such as an annual report and the code of conduct, are legally valid. Other information provided on or via our website is therefore exclusively intended as general information and no further rights can be derived therefrom.
2. Links to other websites
HiiL links to many websites created and maintained by other public and/or private organisations or individuals, including links on social media websites. We provide links to these sites as a service to our users. The presence of a link is not an endorsement of the site or its contents by HiiL. These links are provided purely for reference purposes.
When users follow a link to an outside website, they are leaving HiiL and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside website(s). HiiL is not responsible for the information collection practices of non-HiiL sites.
3. Copyright and intellectual property rights
The copyright of this website and all information thereon is vested in HiiL or in third parties, who have made these (visual) materials available to HiiL with their consent. Copying or disclosing visual materials derived from the website (and its components) electronically or otherwise without the prior authorisation of HiiL, is not permitted. Please contact the source of the image for full copyright information.
4. Privacy statement
HiiL attaches great value to the protection of your personal data. In this privacy statement, we provide information about how we handle personal data. We do the utmost to safeguard your privacy and therefore handle personal data with due care. HiiL conforms to the applicable laws and regulations, including the General Data Protection Regulation (Algemene Verordening Gegevensbescherming, AVG), in all cases. This means that:
- Your personal data are processed in accordance with the purpose for which they have been provided. This purpose and the type of personal data are incorporated in this privacy statement.
- The use and/or processing of your personal data remains restricted exclusively to those data that are minimally required for the purpose for which they are provided and/or processed.
- Suitable technical and/or organisational measures have been taken to guarantee the security of your personal data.
- Personal data will not be passed on to other parties unless this is required to achieve the purpose for which they have been provided.
We are aware of your rights concerning your personal data, and it is our intention to inform you of these and to respect them.
We collect and temporarily store certain technical information about your visit for use in site management and security purposes. This information includes:
- The Internet domain from which you access our website (for example, “xcompany.com” if you use a private Internet access account, or “yourngo.org” if you connect from a non-governmental organisation);
- The IP address (a unique number for each computer connected to the Internet) from which you access our website;
- The type of browser (e.g., Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc) used to access our site;
- The operating system (Windows, Unix) used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The URLs of the pages you visit;
- If you visited this site from another website or search engine, the URL of the forwarding site.
Why do we process your personal data?
Your personal data are being processed by HiiL for the following purposes:
- To be able to participate in HiiL’s activities.
- To send out newsletters and invitations.
- To send specific professional e-mails, depending on the field.
We can request the following personal data from you for the aforementioned purposes:
- First name
- Surname prefix(es)
- E-mail address
- Telephone number
- Job title
Provision to third parties
We can provide the data you give to us to third parties if this is necessary to achieve the purposes described above.
HiiL will retain personal data not longer than required for the purpose for which they have been provided or than what is required by law. Participation in activities will be archived for use in agreed follow-up activities and for potential internal evaluation purposes. HiiL will retain your data for no longer than two years.
We have taken suitable technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data from wrongful processing. This includes HiiL having taken the following measures:
- All persons who can take cognizance of your data on behalf of HiiL are obliged to keep these confidential.
- A username and password policy are in effect on all our systems.
- Backups are made of the personal data so as to restore them in the event of physical or technical incidents.
- Our employees have been informed about the importance of personal data protection.
As HiiL, we are responsible for processing your personal data. If you wish to submit any questions you have as a result of reviewing our privacy statement or more general questions or wish to contact us, you can do so via firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact us at this address if you want to inspect the data we retain about you or to have these data corrected or deleted.
Please contact us if you have a complaint about the processing of your personal data. You always retain the right to submit a complaint to the Dutch Data Protection Agency (DPA); the supervisory authority for privacy.
- PHPSESSID: not tracking, expires when the active session is closed
- language: not tracking, remembers the selected language for a next visit. expires is 1 month
- viewed_cookie_policy: remembers the cookie consent settings.
Set by Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics:
How to prevent cookies from being placed?
Disabling cookies only has an effect on the device on which you disable them. In case you use more than one device you will have to repeat the actions to disable cookies. How to disable Cookies: Internet Explorer / Firefox / Safari / Chrome.