Are you an entrepreneur with a heart for social justice? Do you have experience in setting up new businesses, mentoring start-ups and creating a community? Do you get excited by being a first mover in a conservative sector? Then this role may be right for you!
We are looking for an agent to build out our Innovating Justice Hub in Uganda. As a HiiL local partner in Uganda, the Innovating Justice Agent will develop a national infrastructure that can operate and develop the Justice Accelerator: finding and selecting entrepreneurs, incubating them locally and growing them to scale – in collaboration with the team in The Hague, the Netherlands. Moreover, the Hub will have to develop and generate its own partnerships and sales, leading to a self-sustainable entity in the coming years.
Your Main Responsibilities:
- Grow a local community of innovators that have scalable and sustainable funding models with an impact on preventing or resolving justice problems.
- Find, select and support justice innovations such that they are able to reach scale and impact over 50.000 direct users. Coordinate acceleration activities in Uganda, ensuring each cohort has access to efficient and effective business development support, such as mentorship, training and the like.
- Connect innovators to justice sector policy makers and justice leaders that may lead to transformative change.
- Grow, develop and coordinate HiiL’s partnerships and brand in the region; and make people more aware of the need for innovation in the justice sector. Manage existing local and international existing partner activities.
- Collaborate with Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa and other HiiL hubs to develop cross-country/continent partnerships and support peer-to-peer exchanges among justice startups.
- Run successful Justice Innovation Challenges that attract at least 60 applications annually in the country.
- Select and incubate the most promising justice innovators so they reach scale.
- Maintain and establish relationships and partnerships with a.o. Uganda incubators/accelerator, the Uganda legal sector, the justice sector (Ministry of Justice), investors and private sector partners.
- Organise regular events that grow the community and raise awareness about justice innovation.
- Attract new funding partners for the Hub(‘s activities), or develop a sales funnel.
- Manage a small team that can lead the hub into sustainability and scale.
- Establish and develop a local presence for HiiL that can sustain itself beyond 3 years without HiiLs HQ financial support.
- Holds a degree in the fields of Business (MBA/BBA), Law (LLM/LLB), Economics, Development Studies, Politics, Entrepreneurship, IT/Engineering, or another relevant field. Work experience with innovation hubs or innovation management or accelerator programs is an added advantage;
- Can demonstrate some experience with working with the legal sector, if Law is not a major degree;
- Has min. 7 years of professional experience in entrepreneurship (running businesses), mentoring startups, working on legal innovation, or any other relevant experience;
- Has previous experience in setting up (sustainable) businesses, entities or social enterprises is required (we’re looking for serial entrepreneurs);
- Has managerial experience with recruiting and leading a team of (at least) 3 people;
- Is result-oriented;
- Is driven by impact/doing good is a must;
- Has a strong network in Uganda’s innovation/start-up ecosystem and/or with the Uganda justice sector;
- Has excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of other Ugandan languages is also preferable;
- Is based in Kampala; and eligible to work in Uganda.
Please apply on our web page by using the apply button and/or send and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to upload your CV and a one-page letter of motivation!
We are recruiting on a rolling basis.