HiiL is an advisory and research institute for the justice sector, based in The Hague, city of peace and justice.
Our HiiL professionals are leading academics, from various cultural backgrounds, with many years of experience in places where justice is most needed.
Mission | HiiL is passionate about making justice work. The core of our work is to improve rulemaking and conflict resolution processes. In today’s challenging environment that is impossible without innovation. We support clients and other stakeholders doing this together, across borders and based on the best available knowledge.
What we do | HiiL is a not for profit foundation. It is funded by income from the services we perform for our clients and by contributions from governments, philanthropic foundations and social entrepreneurs.
We provide our clients with:
- Justice strategy advice to make processes more accountable, efficient and attuned to justice needs
- Measuring and assessment to make progress visible, comparable, showing where more effort is needed
- A justice innovation lab for developing, testing and improving prototypes of new approaches
Together with donors we develop and maintain:
- Trend reports and law scenarios
- A knowledge platform for justice sector innovation
- A unique international network of leaders and innovators in the justice sector
HiiL has a joint venture with Tilburg University (Tisco research group on conflict resolution systems).